LUCAS 2012 Technical Assistance & Quality Control
After 2006 and 2009, LuxSpace again has been entrusted by the Statistical Office of the European Communities (Eurostat) to provide Technical Assistance and to carry out the quality control of the data collected in the framework of the Land Use / Cover Area statistical Survey (LUCAS) in 2012. The LUCAS 2012 field survey was conducted in 27 European Union Member States and gathered data on land cover and land use as well as on environmental relevant issues such as European landscapes, agricultural management methods and soil (in Bulgaria and Romania).
LuxSpace provided Technical Assistance regarding
- adaptation of the survey documentation according to the user’s requirements,
- organisation of training workshops for the Country Field Survey Managers,
- official meetings (Kick-Off, Land Use Working Group, Final LUCAS Meeting,
- Follow-up visits in all participating countries; therefore a team of acknowledged land cover/land use experts has been established to collect information on the survey implementation enabling Eurostat to assess the quality of the survey,
- Help-desk during the survey period to answer frequent asked questions from Field Work contractors.
However the main task consisted in the quality control of the LUCAS 2012 data implemented by dedicated cross-checks on the roughly 271.000 LUCAS point data sets. The interactive controls on-screen used any available information, i.e. the data and landscape photographs taken during this survey and those taken during the previous survey in 2009. For this purpose, a specific IT infrastructure has been set-up, and a dedicated team of experienced data controllers established to carry out the control from April to December 2012.
The project lasted until June 2013.
For further information please contact LuxSpace.